Thursday, February 17, 2011

So so proud

The past couple days at our school, we have been selling fair trade chocolates just to make students aware of what fair trade is.  We started off with 400 chocolates, and we are out of them, just in 2 days.  I give the credit to one student who is very enthusiastic about informing people about fair trade issues.  In a school as small as ours (only about 200 students), students are learning quite a bit about fair trade just through their peers.  Walking down the hall, I hear students saying, "Oh look!! You can even see the symbol on the chocolate!"  My goal with this was to have kids become aware, and enthusiastic about what fair trade is, and I believe I have reached my goal, even if its just with a few students.

I have been finding that I really have to watch what I eat this month.  There are always some sort of chocolate goodie in the staff room that I cannot eat.  Luckily I have stocked up on fair trade chocolates so that I am not tempted by all this chocolate around me!  Even going to Starbucks, there is not very much I can have there.  I asked for fair trade tea, and they said they don't have fair trade tea, but that the coffee and tea they get is from their own producers and that they promote equitable and fair treatment of their workers. I would really love to see the facts about that!  I settled for an apple juice.

No comments:

Post a Comment